November 17, 2015
Part 2: Summary of IAB Programmatic Training - Unpacking Ad Tech Alphabet Soup
Demystifying the Supply Side
Gregory Pichot, Senior Account Director from AppNexus, breaks down the supply side platforms.
What is SSP?
An SSP is a software used by supply partners to automate the selling of digital advertising space using auction based models alongside sales workflow improvements.
Context of the rise of SSP
Publishers produce content for internet users.Their business model is based on selling advertising spaces, initially sold on fixed volume and price. The technology has evolved and allows a new way of monetising advertising spaces, removing some complexity and transactional costs
What functionalities does an SSP provide?
- Access to different type of market places - Automated guaranteed, private marketplace, open marketplaces and performance marketplaces
- Pricing and packaging - Sellers can define how to market their inventory, whether at floor prices, segmentation, deals and packages.
- Brand Control - Sellers can regulate the ad to be displayed by relying on creative audits or not, blocking some brand or buyers, deciding on authorised ad formats, and frequence caps. These are designed to protect channel conflict and user experience.
- Audience Management - SSP may offer data features or be integrated with Data Management Platforms
- Analytics - This dashboard view of data will monitor revenues generated, offering analytics per buyers or brands, per type of inventory, and performance details and packages.
What are the benefit of an SSP ?
- It provides publishers with a toolset that enables them to manage, control, protect and monetise their inventory
- It integrates with the programmatic ecosystem which opens up a global buying community
- Inventory from all ad formats and channels can be centralised on one platform
- It provides automation of workflows to make selling more efficient
- Improved yields and revenue
Making Sense of Audience Data & DMP
Matt Clarkson, VP Engineering at EYEOTA, explains audience data in a nutshell: As consumers we are all made up of a collection of habits, interests, and demographic characteristics.
How does data benefit me as a marketer?: Modern adtech platforms use audience data to help marketers identify, understand, and target their customers.
How does data benefit me as a publisher?: Audience Data can help publishers create new revenue streams, understand their audience, and improve audience affinity.
How does data benefit me as a consumer?: Consumers benefit through access to Digital Products and Services and Improved Online Experience.
Data is everywhere:
- In CRM data provided directly to businesses
- Anonymous data collected from the web
- Data from mobile devices and applications
- Offline data sets that have been linked into the digital world.
What is DMP?
A Data Management Platform (DMP) looks at your data and tells you what to do with it.It’s a is a software tool for managing your audience data and making it available for online marketing and analytics.
What are benefits of a DMP?
- It provides identity matching across channels - this means maximising your ability to reach this customer whenever you encounter them online.
- It provides new insights as to the nature of your audience
- It Improves scale and reach for campaign planning and optimisation
- It facilitates accessing new pools of seller and buyer liquidity
- It enable creation of data syndicates with partners to improve the reach and ROI on your data.
When do I need a DMP?
- If you have a large number of internal and external datasets that you want to integrate
- If you need to deploy your data for use in multiple ad tech platforms
- If you need to create data-sharing partnerships
- If you have a need for the advanced analytics provided by these platforms
- If your enterprise is of sufficient scale and complexity to take advantage of advanced features and cost of a DMP.
In a nutshell, a DMP collects, translates, classifies indexes and stores data.
We’d like to thank all the members who attended and all our speakers who took the time to share their knowledge on this ever evolving space.
March 24, 2017
SpotX, the video inventory management platform for media owners, announced key appointments for the Asia Pacific region with a hire in Indonesia and staff relocation…
March 16, 2017
Wondered what the highlights of this year’s SXSW Interactive Festival at Austin, Texas were? The team from MEC reports that looking at SXSW 2017 overall and its…
March 16, 2017
Yahoo Singapore has launched Yahoo Storytellers, a content marketing solution for brands and agencies that leverages Yahoo’s editorial expertise, extensive data, and native advertising through Yahoo Gemini. Now…